Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Recap – What’s with all this social stuff?

Conference officially kicks off tomorrow, but Sunday has it’s fair share of activities.  I started the day with a trip into the city, and a whirlwind tour of three museums.  I was able to get my shopping for the kids out of the way, one less thing to worry about.

The first session of the day was the new Communities of Interest meetup.  I decided to join in with the other social networkers and meet a few of fellow twitterers in real life.  The room for our meetup was closed, and there was some discussion on whether or not that meant we were supposed to be meeting virtually, but we decided to stay for a face to face discussion.

The discussion was awesome, and quickly turned to the issues around ethics and social media policy.  Quite a firms have taken a serious look at creating a social media policy, and have researched the policies of other companies, firms and many (even all) of the various state bar groups.  It was a very interesting discussion and one that I need to do some serious thinking on for my firm.  It was mentioned that IBM, Intel, the New York Times and the AP all have good policies that can be used as a reference (I was not able to find links to the NYT or AP policies in a quick search).  Some other searches that might be useful to those wanting to research more on social media policies can be found at Google News, Blog Search and Twitter.

There has been a good amount of talk about the social media aspects of this years conference.  This is certainly the best year to not be attending conference as it will be so easy to see, hear and understand what is going on.  The official conference blog had an article the other day about the social media aspects of conference which is a worthwhile read if you have not already.  I think the big take away from conference, especially for those who are not 100% sure on the whole social networking thing, is summed up nicely in the article with this:

“I feel like I need a personal testimony before I can imagine ways to suggest employing it to the advantage of my Firm…”

Hopefully everyone leaves conference this year with a better understanding of social media and how it can be utilized.  It will be interesting to see what changes are made in firms when we get to the 2010 conference, social media is here to stay.

How is social media/networking playing into your daily life, and your attendance at conference?

2 comments:

  1. I've been following the #Ilta09 hash tag a bit this week and I've been surprised how many tweets are sent every day about Ilta. I expect that to continue to increase this week.

    And it will be fun to hear how those that won't be in attendance used social media to follow the proceedings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the amount of tweets will increase during the week. Hopefully, people will start to settle into a routine tomorrow and we will see more activity.

    ReplyDelete